harbar.net component based software & platform hygiene

Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Print | posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 10:47 AM

As you may have noticed, I've been getting a bit carried away with my shiny MacBook Pro of late. I have this bad boy set up to triple boot Mac OS, Vista x64 and Windows Server 2008 x64. The idea here is to have a small Win2k8 partition running MOSS for demos/presentations (and the odd bit of coding) running on the metal rather than in a VM. The latest Boot Camp drivers enable this goodness, they all work flawlessly. All that is, apart from the Bluetooth stack.

This is a problem because I use the excellent Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter mouse. This little guy is a regular mouse but has media/slide controls on the underside. Very handy. It comes with a transceiver but I don't wanna use that rubbish, I don't like dongles that are unnecessary.

So why doesn't it work? Well it's all down to driver signing on x64 and also the generic Bluetooth stack INF files preventing installation on Server class machines. Bit of a PITA. After installing the Boot Camp drivers Device Manager shows the first issue:

bt1

The good news is I've done the hard work after a couple hours of sillyness and mostly thanks to Gil Kirkpatrick, a Directory Services MVP. You need my ZIP file of modified drivers for the generic Bluetooth stack. Use this entirely at your own risk! You backup, right?

To get things working we need to hack about a bit...

1. In Device Manager, right click Bluetooth USB Host Controller and choose Update Driver Software...
  2. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    bt2
  3. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    bt3
  4. Click Bluetooth Radios and Next.
    bt4
  5. Select Apple Inc and Apple Built-in Bluetooth and then Next.
    bt5
    (See, Boot Camp did install them, it just couldn't make them function, because of...)
  6. On the Update Driver Warning, click Yes.
    bt6
  7. After a short while the driver will be installed, click Close.
    bt7
  8. You will see some annoying dialogs (three of them) - cancel them.
    bt8
  9. You will now see that Apple Built-in Bluetooth shows up under Bluetooth Radios, but we have three new Unknown Devices in Device Manager. At this point the Bluetooth icon will also show up in the notification area.
    bt9

This is where our modified driver INFs are needed. Extract the ZIP file someplace, e.g. c:\bt before continuing.
  10. Right click the first Unknown Device and choose Update Driver Software.
  11. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  12. Enter the path to the extracted ZIP and click Next.
  13. Windows will moan about driver signing - click Install this driver software anyway.bt10
  14. After a short while the driver will be installed, click Close.
  15. Repeat 10 thru 14 for the other two unknown devices.

Once complete we will see the MS Bluetooth Enumerator show up in Bluetooth Radios and a couple more Bluetooth devices in Network Adaptors:

bt11

Unfortunately we are not quite done.... Don't close Device Manager yet.

This is the stage to install the MS Intellipoint software. We could have done this before - it doesn't really matter. When it prompts you to insert the transceiver, click Cancel.

Now we need to pair the mouse using the Bluetooth control panel. Our mouse won't yet work, but we will get another device show up in Device Manager.

bt12

Follow steps 10 thru 14 above and the Bluetooth HID Device will be installed.

Waggle your Wireless Notebook Presenter - all is good.Click the presentation mode button - all is good :)

At this point you can delete the folder containing the modified drivers etc.

Feedback

You rock, Mate. Thanks!

6/25/2008 3:24 AM | E. Shupps

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Thanks man! This helped. Although I'm not able to get wireless working...

6/30/2008 12:08 AM | Kanwal Khipple

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Kanwal: you need to install the Wireless LAN feature within Windows 2008 before the WLAN drivers are picked up.

6/30/2008 10:23 AM | Spence

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Sweet!! Finally working BT. Thanks for the link. Now if I could only get Sync Center to list my smartphone...

7/15/2008 11:53 AM | Oliver

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Never mind my last comment. Seems I just needed to install Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 Driver for Windows Vista (64-bit)

7/15/2008 11:57 AM | Oliver

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I have been looking to fix this for days now ...... should have live searched ;-) it 2 days ago.

7/24/2008 3:04 PM | Carl H2

Ur....great mate.....

8/10/2008 8:10 PM | Muthu

Excellent.
Thank you so much for going through the trouble of sharing this.

8/28/2008 9:18 AM | Renaud

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

You are my hero! Amazing! Thank you so much.

10/30/2008 10:48 AM | MadOrbit

Heey Guys,

This Article is not only valid for the MBPro. It works on a regular MB as well.
I got mine running Windows 2008 64-bit with Hyper-V LOL
Thanks a lot.

11/23/2008 2:25 AM | Jaap

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

works great! thank you kindly!

ps: on my machine under other devices it did not show a title for the unknown devices so i just guessed and reinstalled the drivers for these unknown devices by pointing them to your drivers. turned out they were indeed the bluetooth hardware. good job!

12/31/2008 2:54 PM | Anon

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

These drivers are only for x64. You would need to create your own set for x86.

1/6/2009 9:24 AM | Spence

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

How do you instal the bluetooth devices on the control panel on Windows Vista 64 bit?

1/25/2009 4:27 AM | Chriswins2much

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Will this work on a Mac Pro running Vista x64?

2/16/2009 8:05 PM | Drew

Damn! No x86 version!

4/9/2009 11:14 PM | anon

Good stuff. Thank you.

5/14/2009 12:00 PM | Al

Great!!!

5/25/2009 6:21 PM | Peet

It works fine before install sp2

5/28/2009 11:47 AM | peter

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

I'm running 2008R2 64-bit on a MacBook and what is described here doesn't work in any shape or form. Basically, the icon I get for bluetooth is a _different_ icon (there is no USB Host Controller in sight), 2008R2 seems to know it's Bluetooth already, but complains that driver INF doesn't have a necessary entry. :(

9/18/2009 9:53 AM | John

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

You ROCK bro! This totally works! Hats off to you.
Thanks a lot for this!

2/2/2010 3:53 PM | Chris Cash

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Thnks for sharing this information! Good work!

11/29/2011 5:41 PM | hypotheken

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Finally got it to work. Thanks!

12/12/2011 7:18 PM | geld lenen

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Anyone got this to Work on R2?

1/30/2012 7:39 PM | Sammy

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

Well I just tried this on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and a MacBook Pro running Lion MacOs 10.7. My BootCamp disk is v4.0 I think !?. Basically everything is the latest versions.

I run Device Manager and see problem icon against Bluetooth USB Host Controller and an Unknown Device. I try to update the driver for the Bluetooth USB Host Controller but only see "Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth" listed. Also the dialog says that "This driver is digitally signed".

So I am guessing that Apple have brought out a new driver but it still does not want to play and work on a Windows Server OS.

Any thoughts ?

4/19/2012 4:33 PM | TheSnark

# re: Enabling Bluetooth on MacBook Pro and Windows Server 2008 x64

WOW! I wasted a full day before I found this...worked perfectly! Thank You!!!!

Arion